Surefoot International School (SIS), Calabar
This is a co-educational, private Christian-boarding school located in the scenic and serene city of Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. The existence of Surefoot is the manifestation of a vision, which became a reality due to the burning desire to provide an educational institution where children are raised in a Christ-centered, fun and technologicallydriven environment.
SIS caters for children from all nationalities from crèche to year 12. Our all-inclusive policy at SIS ensures that no child is left behind, every child who goes through SIS is assured of a solid foundation and a sure future where critical thinking and an analytical mind becomes the norm.
Our 4 A’S represent Our 4 CORE VALUES. THESE VALUES ARE TO groom students to ATTEND school regularly, Cultivate right ATTITUDE, engage in ACTIVITIES and excel in ACADEMICS.
At SIS OUR STUDENTS ARE PREPARED TO RULE THEIR WORLD!
What curriculum does SIS offer?
SIS offers a merger of the Nigerian and British curriculums. The lesson plans are put together in a way that allows progressive learning and this is applicable from lower secondary to upper secondary. Our curriculum gives our students the additional possibilities to be successful in external examinations such as West African Schools Certificate Examinations (WASCE), International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), SAT, TOEFL, JAMB, IELTS, CHECKPOINT, BECE etc.
KEY STAGES AT SIS
- EARLY YEARS FOUNDATION STAGE (EYFS)
- KEY STAGE 1- (Lower Primary)
- KEY STAGE 2- (Upper) Primary
- KEY STAGE 3 –(Lower Secondary)
- KEY STAGE 4 – (Upper Secondary)
What are the ACADEMICS programs at SIS?
ASIS education ensures that your child receives;
- Constant structured testing for children in key stage and termination classes.
- Individualized Education Plan.
- Differentiation in all lessons
- Technology enabled learning in classroom and laboratories.
- Microsoft Virtual Academy a certified program that all our children take to enable them leaveSIS as Certified Microsoft software users.
- World class teaching staff
- Creative project work.
- Weekly reviews and performance sent to parents.
At SIS, our aim is to keep the parents involved and up to date on their children’s schoolwork and study habits. We aim at supporting the holistic development of children kept in our care.
How do we help students achieve great results?
Every student is unique, so we design plans and approaches that suit individuals. In addition to the time-table lessons with our proficient team of teachers, students can take advantage from:
- FREE after-school booster (run by teachers and Learning Mangers) held within the school premises to address areas of concern.
- Personalized teaching in core subjects for students requiring further support.
- Extra classes on Saturday and during the holidays for exam classes.
- Early morning classes for boarder
- A variety of events for parents and strategies to raise the achievement of our students.
- Resident core subject teachers for easy access by students to address areas of need.
What key strengths are exhibited by SIS students?
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Advanced reasoning skills
- Communication, presentation, public speaking and entrepreneurial skills
- An independent competitive “can do” attitude
- ExcellentICT skills
- Strong Christian foundation and mentoring.
Do SIS teachers undergo professional development?
Yes, they do. Continuous Professional development (CPD) for staff is included in our termly calendar. SIS has put together a world class team of educators and administrators to ensure that your child gets world class education that is comparable with any education in the world and it prepares our students to compete and excel anywhere in the world. All SIS teachers are qualified graduates, with certificates in education and Cambridge certification to not only teach and direct our studentsbut also to compete and excel anywhere in the world.
Our extra-curricular activities cover a wide scope of activities which ensure children are well balanced, active and competitive.
Surefoot International School is home to a lot of club activities from Music club to Dance, ICT, Life skills, Arts and Crafts, Press Club, Soccer, Swimming and Public Speaking Clubs. These after school activities excite and inspire the children at SIS to excel beyond academics.
What does our boarding house offer the students?
Our boarding house is designed to be a home away from home experience. We have a qualified nurse, core subjects specialists devoted to caring for the students in the dormitory. These adults guide boarders with assignments and extra studies during their study hall periods every day.They have the advantage of using the library at weekends. They are schooled in home management skills through their competitive weekly dorm inspections.
What Religious programs are available at SIS?
The spiritual growth of the students is a priority. SIS offers an inter-denominational, non-denominational activities that accommodates Christians from different backgrounds. We have programs to boost the student’s spiritual growth such as DEAP (drop everything and pray), Solemn Assemblies (at the beginning of the term and after mid-term break), weekly pastoral counseling, Friday weekly fellowship with boarders and weekly Sunday services.
The boarding students’ spiritual growth is also an important activity, they attend church every Sunday, and the school chaplain is always present to offer spiritual advice and guidance.